Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day six.

Caught a coach to London, which takes about nine hours, so not much to say about this day. Fell asleep, so I didn't get to say goodbye to North Wales (although I saw enough to know I'm rather glad I went to Bangor instead of Conwy); I just woke up and suddenly everything was monolingual again. I kind of miss all the Welsh everywhere. Contrary to Ireland where signs are bilingual seemingly to impress the EU only, I heard many a first-language Welsh speaker. (Well ... at least I figured it was Welsh. Not like I can really tell, I suppose.) I didn't pick up very much, but ... I wonder if I could audit Welsh at Berkeley. I'm sure that would go about as well as trying to learn Irish did.

(Bonus fun fact: it is easier to get a veggie burger in Bangor than in Berkeley. I rather wish I had been hungry enough to try one, actually. The veggie sausages at the hostel were divine. And Welsh yogurt! Amazing! There's ice cream sold everywhere, too, which I also wish I had tried. Maybe I can go back through Wales before I return to Dublin, cost be damned.)

England is very very green and full of cows. This is the main thing I can say about the middle bits.

Got to London eventually. It is very large. The outside bits are nice with their old houses, but I can't say as I loved the bit around Victoria Station. Everything is so dirty and crowded and utterly confusing, and it didn't help that it was so cloudy I couldn't tell which way I was going. Mainly it made me want to hop back on a bus the other way, but I found the hostel eventually and maybe later I'll find more to like. There was cheap sketchy Indian food, at least; I suspect I will live out much of the rest of this vacation on cheap sketchy Indian food.

Got internet, showered, slept. Nothing to see here, move along.

2 comments:

Azetidine said...

Conwy's not that bad.

Then again, I went there on a field trip and didn't go to Bangor at all. But the hostel's kinda nice.



We should go back to Wales and hike through Snowdonia sometime.

wanderfish said...

Conwy is lamer than Bangor. ... From the bus, anyway. It might just be my bias towards university towns, though, since I've only ever lived in those.

(Sadly the Conwy hostel was booked up when I tried to move on. Stupid everybody in London going to Wales for the bank holiday, leaving me to have to go to London.)

And yes, we should. Snowdon itself is beautiful, but I've got to see the rest of it, too. Actually make the most of one of those Red Rover passes and all.