Thursday, May 8, 2008

Once upon a time, I had a boyfriend who told me he'd decided he was going to marry me the day he first saw me. (No, no, come back, this is all in service of an analogy. No worries.)

I, of course, thought he was full of crap. And, from the past tense of that sentence and the fact that I am yet unwed, I feel that time has borne me out on this one. But I think I know what he meant now, because yesterday I saw Edinburgh for the first time.

She is a beautiful city, dear readers. All at once young and vibrant, yet old and wise. She is multilayered and unmappable, but will always get you home eventually - and will show you new wonders every step of the way. (Plus the sun never sets on her, so it's okay if it takes a little while.) She will play games with you if you are in a car, but if you set your feet on her cobbles she will let you see her secrets.

(Okay, okay, I've only been wandering around the old town, I'm sure the new town is lame like all other cities, but holy crap, I don't care. The rest of the city could be Rockford and it would still be the most beautiful city I've ever been to.)

Anyway. New pictures. They don't really describe it, but it's a start.

3 comments:

Azetidine said...

One thing I regret about when I went to Edinburgh was it being too late in the day to go up onto Arthur's Seat. It may be sunny all day in the summer, but the winter kind of sucks because there's a lot less daylight than I'm used to, even in Iowa. But I did lol lots at the coffeehouse on the main drag called "Has Beans".

Also, I'm glad to hear that you made it to Edinburgh all right. I know how frustrating it is to miss the bus, having tried to come back from Cambridge on the bus a couple times and not quite made it. I like the trains better; you can always get on the next one. If there's one thing the States could do with more of, it's trains.

MKaz said...

"The rest of the city could be Rockford and it would still be the most beautiful city I've ever been to." I'm questioning the truthfulness of this statement...

You're awakening my desire to explore. Thanks for that.

wanderfish said...

Nora: Thanks for saying that, I'm planning to head up there today. I haven't managed to run into Has Beans, but there are so! many! coffeehouses! that I may have overlooked a few.

Actually, I think there's a shop called that in the Haight...

The States could definitely use some more trains, even if that's somewhat impractical considering how huge the country is. It sounds like they're trying out East, at least. I'm glad I got to take the train, anyways. I'm kind of tempted to take the train to Fort William, esspensive as that would be...

Matt: As it turns out, that statement proved fairly prophetic! At least for the parts near the university.