Monday, May 5, 2008

A few more backdated entries below. There wasn't a lot of internet in Wales and I was too busy to use it where it was available. I'm not going to promise any of this is interesting, mind. I'll be uploading relevant pictures to http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk149/wanderfish/ too.

Day seven.

I can't believe it's been a whole week since I left America. It doesn't quite weird me out to hear American accents yet, I got through an episode of Wait Wait just fine, but hearing Texans the other day at the hostel was a little odd. My own accent is of course shot to hell. I still sound like an American, mainly out of word choice and a tendency for the T to persist, but my vowels are a bit longer and sort of indeterminately British. Maybe. I could never judge my own voice too well. Of course, my word choice is drifting into some vaguely Irish zone thanks to Liam, so after a while I imagine I will just sound like "somewhere not quite here" wherever I go. Luckily nobody has really made fun of me for being such a horrible mess; I've noticed that people only notice the things that differ from their own speech, so nobody says "why are you so British?", only "you are more American than I am used to, you must be from the States". (Except for the London girl who wouldn't believe I wasn't Irish, I guess.) I can't wait to find out where people in the States think I'm from, though.

My legs still hurt a lot from Snowdon and sitting, but I suppose I ought to do something today to make my peace with London. (Also I should probably find a place to stay tomorrow night. Moors? Somewhere north, I think I may as well make for Scotland but it's too far to go in one day.) First, though, I'm going to actually post some of this stuff.

2 comments:

Skippy said...

Snowdon is really pretty. We shall go back there together some day.

wanderfish said...

We shall! You can probably get up there better than I can. I had to keep sitting down every five minutes.